Thursday, April 2, 2009

Will You Hate Me?

Right after Dai took her final examination for Physics, she sent me a text message. She was not confident that she will pass as this subject had been her waterloo ever since high school. She said "Dad will you hate me if I flunk the exam? As my punishment, it is OK if I will not go on-line for a month." I was touched by her message.

I read the SMS and reserved my reply for later. So when she went on-line after she arrived home, I told her that of course I will never hate her even of she flunks all her subjects. For me, it is important that she tries and keeps trying. It is just a matter of time and she would have had her diploma in psychology at the University of the Philippines. What she does is for her own future. She is aware of that, despite the difficulties she would have to hurdle.


Sometimes, and quite unknowingly, we put pressure on our children's education. I have tried very much not to but sometimes this would show despite our efforts not to make them feel that way. I have always been open in my management of their studies. I leave them be responsible enough for their own education. To wit, before an exam day, I would not even ask them to review. I simply ask them if they feel they are ready for the exam and confident that they can pass it. I just let them do as they please - computer games, surfing, or watching TV. That should relax them before an exam.


No comments:

Post a Comment